Warm greetings from SDB Rwanda believers.
The Government of Rwanda has decided to close all the religious buildings that do not meet the newly established standards. The operation began in Kigali city but today this operation is in rural areas (In all districts). Now, in Kigali alone, 714 are already closed and 6 pastors are in prison. In the other districts, we do not have figures, but many religious buildings must be closed because it is not easy to fulfill the conditions (The conditions are very difficult). This new order requires that all churches must have:
- 4 toilet stalls;
- PAVED parking at the church to the amount of 10% of the congregation.
- The church property must be at least 1.25 acres in size (which is impossible for many churches, for us 3 local churches only meet this criteria).
- Have own religious buildings, very clean with paint, paved and respecting requirements of the city or sector where it is located and (renting is not allowed);
- Soundproofing of the building;
- Two water tanks for rainwater collection.
On this, 11 religious buildings of our local churches are already closed: Kanama, Kigali, Kayove, Mukirangwe, Bisate, Shyira,Cyeru, Indatwa, Kidaho, Bare and Nyagashanga. 3 (other) local churches had 15 days to complete the criteria they did not meet: Rubengera, Nyamutera and Akayange:
- Rubengera SDB: Two water tanks for rainwater collection, cleaned building with paint, and property availability of 1.25 acres in size;
- Nyamutera SDB: Two water tanks for rainwater collection, paved parking, cleaned building.
- Akayange SDB: Two water tanks for rainwater collection, buildings paved, cleaned building.
The others local churches are not yet visited but also, they do not meet all these criteria.
Dear brothers, please pray for us so that God can give us the direction to follow and reinforce Christian belief in this bad situation.
Jean de Dieu KARIMUTUMYE, Legal Representative, SDB – Rwanda
For more details visit Religion News Service – https://www.religionnews.com/2018/03/07/rwanda-closes-hundreds-of-churches-and-arrests-pastors/ “On Tuesday (March 6), police detained six pastors, accusing them of conspiring to rally other clergy in defiance of the government’s shutdown orders.”
”Show me your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day.” – Psalm 25:4-5 (NKJV)
Garfield Miller, Missions Coordinator
Click here to support these or other
ministry works around the world.